Metropolitan State University invites applications for two full-time, tenure-track faculty positions in the Communication, Writing and the Arts Department to begin fall 2008. Responsibilities include teaching undergraduate courses in composition and nonfiction writing, advising students, and contributing to new curriculum development in composition. Participation in faculty governance and active involvement in research and professional activities are expected. These positions offer a reduced teaching load in return for coordinating the introductory composition courses.
Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization which can be found at http://www.hr.mnscu.edu/LR/index.html.
• Ph.D. in Composition/Rhetoric or related field with emphasis in composition by the time of appointment;
• Demonstrated success in teaching a range of undergraduate composition courses;
• Experience in and commitment to coordinating one or more of the following: college-level composition, assessment, program evaluation/development, faculty development, student retention, curriculum planning with secondary educational institutions;
• Demonstrated commitment to student-centered education; and,
• Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of a culturally, ethnically, and linguistically diverse student body.
• Scholarly activities and professional interests in improving student success at an urban university;
• Successful college teaching experience in first-year composition and one or more of the following: academic writing, writing across the curriculum, business, ESOL, online instruction, science, technical writing, literacy studies;
• Interest or experience in online instruction; and,
• Experience or interest in working in an interdisciplinary department.
The University: Metropolitan State University, a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU), serves almost 9,000 students in the greater Twin Cities Metropolitan area. We are the most diverse university in the system, with more than 25% of our students coming from communities of color. The university offers programs leading to baccalaureate and master’s degrees. Visit the university web site at www.metrostate.edu.
Application and Appointment: For full consideration, applications must be received by January 8, 2008, for an August 2008 appointment. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Qualified applicants are required to submit:
• A letter of interest outlining reasons of interest and qualifications in the position;
• A current vita or résumé;
• Examples of teaching effectiveness (student evaluations, sample syllabi, etc.);
• Names of five references with addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers.
Submit application materials to: Composition Search Committee, Metropolitan State University, 1380 Energy Lane, Suite 205, St. Paul, MN 55108. For additional information, call (651) 999-5940. TTY users, (651) 772-7687 or LisaAnn.McMahon@metrostate.edu.
A member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System
An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer