The College of Saint Rose announces a national search for a new Writing Center Director. The Writing Center is a key component in an undergraduate and graduate education committed to student writing. The Writing Center Director facilitates the development and implementation of academic services in writing across the College’s curriculum. In collaboration with academic and administrative departments, this position creates, implements, and delivers writing and reading workshops and programs to meet the needs of students and faculty. The Writing Center Director works individually and with groups of students to promote academic success and retention. The Director guides tutors to provide students with personalized writing instruction that reflects and integrates current writing theory and practice for a wide range of writing projects. This position includes teaching 1 section per academic year of First Year Writing.
The College of Saint Rose is a dynamic institution of higher education, enrolling approximately 4,000 students. Located in the City of Albany, the heart of New York State's Capital Region, the College is an independent, coeducational institution, with dedicated faculty, administrators and staff, focused on transforming the lives of our students. Through a strong liberal education curriculum, and professional programs, Saint Rose serves four-year and transfer students and working professionals in undergraduate, graduate degree and advanced certificate programs in four academic schools: Arts and Humanities; Business; Education; and Mathematics and Sciences. The College is preparing to celebrate its Centennial in 2020 with the launch of the 2016-2020 Strategic Plan which focuses on global connectedness, student success and fostering creativity and innovation.
Guided by our founders and continuing sponsors, the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Carondelet, the College is proud of its mission of service to the urban community. As an institution that values inclusion, we seek to attract and employ individuals who reflect the cultural diversity found within our student body, and across the nation and globe.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Master's Degree in Rhetoric and Composition, English, ELL, Education or a related field; Ph.D. preferred.
- At least 2 years professional experience working in a college-level writing center or tutoring center.
- At least 1 year experience teaching writing at the college level.
- Familiarity with the role of technology in writing pedagogies.
- Experience teaching/tutoring ELL students.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC), Writing in the Disciplines (WID) or Writing-Enriched Curriculum (WEC).
- Experience working effectively with a student body that is diverse in age, academic preparation, culture, economic status, ethnicity, gender, national origin, orientation, and race
- Familiarity with creating writing resources for students.
- Intermediate level computer skills using a Windows based operating system, specifically MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Experience with online tutoring preferred.
- Writing Center administration experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
This is a full-time, full-year position.
Compensation includes a competitive salary range and comprehensive health and dental benefits, retirement plans through TIAA, tuition remission for dependents, and wellness programs including the use of our fitness center.
The College of Saint Rose values diversity and abides by federal, state and local law in admissions, employment and all services and programs provided. It does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion/creed, disability, age, national/ethnic origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or any other condition established by law.
For a comprehensive description of this opportunity and application instructions, log on to our website at
and open a College of Saint Rose Employment Account today!