Information for Authors
Information for Authors
The length of submissions should be a maximum 7,500 words. Longer manuscripts will be returned with a request to reduce the word count. Please prepare all manuscripts consistent with the following guidelines, and and include this cover sheet. Doing so will facilitate anonymous, fair review, and efficient handling of your work.
- Based on the nature of your research, style your article according to either the MLA Handbook (8th edition) or the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th edition) as appropriate.
- Include an abstract (maximum 200 words) within the manuscript, following the title and preceding the body of your text.
- Save your manuscript as a .doc or .docx format.
- Use double-spacing for text.
- Add a running head (shortened title) with page numbers at the upper right corner.
- Do not use boldface or other special typefaces anywhere in the manuscript.
- Follow guidelines in MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing for use of notes. Numbered notes should be placed as endnotes, not footnotes.
- Use clear and distinct styles for main and secondary headings.
- Double-check and cross-check all citations that appear in text and in the bibliography to ensure accuracy and correctly formatted citations.
- Tables should be used sparingly. Include them in the body of your manuscript as they are cited. Table files should be also saved in the program in which they were produced and retained if needed for production.
- Images should be used sparingly. Include them in the body of your manuscript as they are cited. Submit images and line art as image files in uncompressed TIFF or JPEG format and as separate files, at 300 dpi or higher. Seek and secure permissions for use of images that you did not create.
- Remove all identifying information. Check your manuscript carefully prior to submission to insure that all comments and track changes have been deleted. Clear the “properties” (metadata) in your file so that your article is completely anonymous for the purpose of review.
- Include the cover sheet.
Submissions that do not follow these guidelines or that are missing the cover page will be returned to authors prior to review.
The editorial team will acknowledge articles as they are submitted, and they will provide authors with a progress report within six weeks of submission. Before articles are sent to reviewers, the three co-editors read all articles. Our goal is to respond to authors with reviewers’ comments within three months.
WPA publishes both review essays of multiple books and reviews of individual books related to writing programs and their administration. If you are interested in reviewing texts or recommending books for possible review, please contact the book review editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Announcements and Calls
Relevant announcements and calls for papers may be published as space permits. Announcements should not exceed 500 words, and calls for proposals or participation should not exceed 1,000 words. Please include contact information for further information. Submission deadlines in calls should be no sooner than January 1 for the fall issue and June 1 for the spring issue. Please send your calls and announcements to email@example.com and include the text in both the body of the message and as an .doc or .docx attachment.
While CWPA journal authors must grant rights to CWPA necessary for the publication of their journal articles, individual authors retain full copyright to their published works, such as sharing their article as they wish. CWPA respectfully requests that authors share the PDF version of their article available on the CWPA website (as opposed to a draft), since this is the definitive published version with the necessary bibliographic information.
See the author agreement (attached below) for more information.
Send submissions and queries to Lori Ostergaard, Jim Nugent, and Jacob Babb at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send book review queries to Courtney Adams Wooten at email@example.com.