Academic Coordinator/Lecturer for Writing Program
Academic Coordinator/Lecturer (Job #10-454)
University of California, San Diego
Eleanor Roosevelt College at UC San Diego is committed to academic excellence
and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body.
The Making of the Modern World Program is a general education sequence
required of all undergraduate students at UC San Diego's Eleanor Roosevelt
College. MMW provides an interdisciplinary global overview of the past from the
emergence of the human species to the contemporary world and teaches
research and writing skills. Five courses, MMW11 to MMW15, are required of all
students entering as freshmen and two courses, MMW21 and 22, are required
for transfer students. For more on MMW see http://roosevelt.ucsd.edu/mmw
The position of Academic Coordinator/Assistant Director is available. This is a
fiscal-year (12-month) appointment which will begin in January 2013 and is
renewable annually. This position requires excellent organizational skills, the
ability to plan, prioritize, and complete essential tasks and projects, experience
in university teaching and supervisory activities, and the ability to work
collegially and professionally with faculty, staff, and students. The college is
interested in candidates who have demonstrated commitment to excellence by
providing leadership in teaching, research or service towards building an
equitable and diverse scholarly environment.
Our ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in a pertinent field and experience in the
categories listed below.
Job duties include:
• hiring, mentoring, and supervising TAs;
• teaching a pedagogy seminar to new TAs;
• implementing writing instruction and developing writing assignments;
• implementing the use of technology in writing instruction;
• designing writing evaluation and assessments;
• addressing academic integrity issues;
• training and organizing undergraduate peer tutors;
• organizing TA schedules for discussion sections and regular TA meetings;
• organizing and leading quarterly TA orientations;
• providing support to MMW faculty and staff;
• participating actively in relevant MMW, ERC, and UC San Diego activities;
• providing annual reports to the director including a review of best
practices in pedagogy with concrete suggestions for implementation;
maintaining relations with college and campus offices associated with
core/writing programs, graduate student education and employment,
and other areas as needed.
Salary commensurate with experience and based on published UC pay scales.
Review of applications will begin August 31, 2012.
Send a cover letter, CV, names and addresses of at least three references, a
writing sample, and a brief statement of your writing program administration &
teaching philosophy and a separate personal statement summarizing past or
potential contributions to diversity (see http://facultyequity.ucsd.edu/Faculty-
Applicant-C2D-Info.asp for further information).
Submit applications online at https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00228
UCSD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong
institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.