Assistant Director, University of Kansas Writing Center
Assistant Director, KU Writing Center
University of Kansas
Unclassified Professional Staff position
Full-time, $43,000-$45,000 annually commensurate with experience
To view the complete positing and to apply online, visit http://employment.ku.edu/jobs/2283
Applications accepted through 04/15/13. Estimated start date 7/1/2013. EOE M/F/D/V
The KU Writing Center offers programs and services to students, faculty and staff across writing levels and disciplines. The Assistant Director has primary responsibility for the coordination and implementation of writing consulting services and scheduling, as well as supervising and mentoring student writing consultants. The Assistant Director reports to the Director of the KU Writing Center, who reports to the Assistant Vice-Provost for Undergraduate Studies. At the University of Kansas, writing consultation is offered by trained graduate and undergraduates at eight locations, including KU Lawrence libraries and residence halls, the KU Edwards Campus, and the KU Medical Center. The Writing Center collaborates university-wide with the Center for Teaching Excellence, with academic schools, colleges, and departments, with the KU Libraries, and with student support services on all three campuses.
• Manages writing consulting services, including the recruitment, hiring, training, and monitoring, of a cohort of 30-40 undergraduate and graduate student writing consultants during fall, spring, and summer sessions. Occasional evening and weekend hours are required. (50%).
• Directs the internship component of ENGL 400 (Teaching & Tutoring Writing), the Center’s primary recruiting and training vehicle for undergraduate consultants, and supervises practicum sessions providing ongoing, in-service education (10%).
• Offers writing consultation services to undergraduate and graduate students as needed (10%).
• Assists the Director in the ongoing assessment of student needs, including the development and implementation of Writing Center programs to meet identified needs, and the assessment of program outcomes with a focus on continuous improvement of content and customer service (10%).
• Assists the Director in developing and performing outreach activities, including class visits, workshops, information fairs, consultations with faculty, and course redesign (10%).
• Participates in writing consulting and programmatic support services with other designated Undergraduate Studies and University offices and personnel, such as the Multicultural Resource Center, the Department of Student Housing, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Graduate and professional schools, KU Libraries, and the Center for Teaching Excellence. Serves on committees within Undergraduate Studies and other divisions, when such service supports the mission of the KU Writing Center (10%).
• Master’s degree in English, Education, TESOL, or related discipline.
• A minimum of two years’ experience in a student writing center setting in higher education.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills in working with diverse students, faculty, and staff.
• PhD in English, Education, TESOL, or related discipline.
• Experience teaching writing, composition, TESOL, or other relevant courses.
• Administrative experience in personnel supervision, including the training and evaluation of undergraduate and graduate students.
• Experience developing and implementing assessment tools.
Contact information for Applicants: Terese Thonus, email@example.com