Call for Applications: 2013 CWPA Summer Conference Travel Grants for Graduate Students
The Writing Program Administrators Graduate Student Organization (WPA-GO) and the Council of Writing Program Administrators (CWPA) are pleased to announce the offering of at least four travel grants of $100 each for current graduate students presenting at the 2013 Council of Writing Program Administrators Summer Conference, to be held in July 18-21, 2013 in Savannah, GA.. This year’s grants are sponsored by CWPA and Bedford/St. Martin’s.
Eligibility: To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- be current graduate students enrolled in a master’s or doctoral program at an accredited institution;
- have been accepted as presenters at the 2013 CWPA Summer Conference;
- be members of the Council of Writing Program Administrators by July 1, 2013 (For information about how to join CWPA, go to http://wpacouncil.org/join-renew.);
- not have received a WPA-GO CWPA travel grant in the previous year.
Evaluation Criteria: Travel grant applications will be evaluated based upon the degree to which the applicant demonstrates:
- that writing program administration is part of his or her interests and future goals (e.g. writing program/writing center theory and pedagogy, program assessment, WAC initiatives, etc.);
- that presenting at 2013 CWPA Summer Conference makes a significant contribution to the applicant’s scholarly and professional development;
- that the presentation itself makes a significant contribution to the field of writing program administration.
Special-Theme Travel Grant:
In an effort to value the range of scholarship related to writing program administration, WPA-GO will recognize one grant recipient whose application not only meets the above criteria but also demonstrates specific relevance to the 2013 CWPA Conference theme, “Queering the Writing Program.”
Because WPA-GO is committed to increasing access to mentoring, networking, and scholarly and professional development opportunities for all graduate students, following blind evaluation of travel grant applications, final decisions will be made with consideration for providing travel grants to first-time attendees of CWPA and to applicants in greatest need of financial support.
Application Deadline and Decision Timeline:
Travel grant applications are due by July 1, 2013. Grant recipients will be notified by July 15, and they will be announced at the CWPA Summer Conference where they will receive a check and a certificate of recognition.
To apply, please e-mail the following in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover page with applicant’s name, applicant’s institution, applicant’s phone number and email address, and title of the applicant’s 2013 CWPA Conference presentation. Also, please indicate whether this is the first time you have attended CWPA, whether you have received a WPA-GO Travel Grant in the past, and whether you received other sources of funding for attending the 2013 CWPA Conference. This cover page should be the only page with identifiable details. (Applications that do not include information about attendance and funding will not be considered.)
- One-page cover letter that explains how you meet the grant criteria
- Copy of your 2013 CWPA proposal as submitted to CWPA for acceptance. (If you are presenting with a group, please be sure that you have indicated the portion of the proposal that represents your presentation.)
Please note: In order to promote a blind reading process, we ask that you do not include identifying information on any materials other than the Cover Page. This means you should omit specific names or generalize information that identifies you, your institution, your advisor, or your particular writing program. You should also avoid using institutional letterhead beyond the cover page.
Applications should be e-mailed as attachments in a single PDF file to email@example.com with the subject “2013 CWPA Travel Grant Application.” The committee will only review applications that are submitted under this subject line. Email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grant applications will be evaluated by members of WPA-GO’s Travel Grants Committee. This committee is made up of graduate student WPA-GO members from a variety of institutions who are not applying for a grant in this year’s grant cycle. Co-chairs of this committee are Brian Hendrickson and Laurie A. Pinkert.