Colby College: Founding Director, Center for Teaching & Learning
Colby College invites nominations and applications for the position of Founding Director of its newly established Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL). Reporting to the Associate Provost, the Founding Director will work with the CTL Advisory Committee and other campus partners to establish a strategic vision and programs for the Center.
The successful candidate will develop and implement a strategic plan for CTL that (a) reflects broad consultation with faculty, students, and administrative partners, (b) includes programmatic and staffing elements to address teaching and learning needs at Colby, and (c) positions CTL to become a leader in national conversations about innovative teaching and learning at small colleges.
- Create opportunities for faculty and students to gather, learn, and talk about teaching and learning in ways that enhance understanding and transform practice
- Gather, organize, and disseminate pedagogical research and learning theory (e.g., high impact practices, inclusive pedagogy, Universal Design for instruction) to address current and emerging needs of Colby’s faculty and students
- Provide pedagogical support and ongoing mentoring for incoming faculty
- Oversee the creation/coordination of resources to support students with respect to learning strategies, study skills, test-taking, time management, etc.
- Initiate/oversee enhanced learning differences support for both students and faculty -- acknowledging learning differences as both a pedagogical and learning issue
- Encourage and facilitate collaboration of existing offices and services in support of teaching and learning
- Manage the operations of the Center, including personnel, budget, programming, website, and logistics
- Assess the ongoing effectiveness of the Center and adapt services and staffing to enhance effectiveness
- The Director will have the opportunity to teach in the Colby curriculum
- Terminal degree
- Significant experience and success in faculty development and pedagogical support for faculty in a wide array of disciplines and career stages
- Record of scholarship in teaching and learning and knowledge of best practices and innovative approaches (ideally in a liberal arts environment)
- Extensive classroom teaching experience with evidence of excellent teaching
- Knowledge of learning skills theory; evidence of engagement with student learning development; experience in making connections between teaching and learning
- Deep commitment to diversity in its many forms and an appreciation of the value of diversity within a liberal arts learning community; skills in fostering an open and welcoming learning environment
- Strong presentation and writing skills and the ability to speak compellingly to different audiences -- including alumni and potential donors
- Excellent administrative, organizational and team-building skills
Please see attached .pdf for the full position description and context.
Sage Search Partners is assisting Colby with this search. Confidential inquiries, nominations, and expressions of interest (CV and cover letter) can be sent to: Paula Fazli, Partner, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin November 2 and will continue until the position is filled.
Colby is a private, coeducational liberal arts college and an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.