Merit Awards ($100 each)
These awards are given to papers that make a significant contribution to the WPA profession and to writing programs and classrooms. They are determined by readers’ scores as demonstrating attention to the following criteria listed on the CFP:
- The applicant’s investment in writing program administration
- How the applicant’s participation will impact his or her scholarly & professional development
- How the applicant’s presentation/facilitation contributes to the field of writing program administration
Inclusiveness Award ($100)
This award is determined by readers’ scores as satisfying the criteria listed on the CFP while also furthering inclusiveness in the writing classroom, writing programs, and/or the WPA profession. Examples of inclusiveness include, but are not limited to:
- Development and implementation of effective strategies for writing instruction that advance understanding and/or education of students from underrepresented groups
- New knowledge contributions or creative work that advances the understanding of and/or opportunities for underrepresented groups within writing classrooms, writing programs, and/or the WPA profession
- Activities that promote the professional and/or academic advancement of underrepresented groups within writing classrooms, writing programs, and/or the WPA profession
Excellence Award ($200)
This award is given to one outstanding paper that cogently and insightfully contributes to the WPA profession, and improves writing programs and writing classrooms. This award is determined by readers’ scores as the paper that most effectively captures the criteria listed on the CFP.
Excellence, Inclusiveness, and Merit awards will be granted based on scores, with tie-breaker preference given to first-time attendees, those without other funding, and those with proposals that align with conference theme. Documents will be stripped of identifiers for all readers. Applicants can win only one award.