Academic Writing Lecturer at UM-SJTU Joint Institute
Full Time Lecturer in Academic Writing and Technical Communication
Department: Academic Writing and Liberal Arts
Institution: University of Michigan – Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute (UM-SJTU JI)
Deadline: Open until filled
Start Date: September 2016
The Academic Writing and Liberal Arts Department at the University of Michigan- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute (UM-SJTU JI) seeks experienced writing lecturers to teach Academic Writing and Technical Communication courses.
All coursework is delivered in English on our campus in Shanghai, China.
Founded in 2006, the Joint Institute (JI) represents a strategic global partnership between the University of Michigan (UM) and Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU). The Chinese Government and both partner universities are fully committed to developing JI as a world-class institute for engineering education. In 2014, JI was the first Chinese institution to win the prestigious Andrew Heiskell Award for Innovation in International Education—one of the highest honors in international higher education. In a short time, JI has become the model example for Sino-American educational collaboration.
The Academic Writing and Liberal Arts Department offers an exciting opportunity to teach the highest-achieving students in China, to contribute to the ongoing development of a growing program, and to share a multi-cultural teaching experience with an energetic and diverse community of faculty. JI operates on a three-semester schedule, and the successful candidate is expected to teach six courses a year, two courses per semester.
All Academic Writing specialists have the opportunity to teach humanities courses outside of Academic Writing and Technical Communication, depending on interest, ability, and institutional need.
Academic Writing courses are sequenced over the fall and spring semesters and aim to teach students the principles, conventions, and styles of Academic Writing. Essay assignments focus on critical thinking skills, the multi-draft writing process, and academic research across a variety of genres and disciplines. The Academic Writing and Liberal Arts Department values diversity and innovation, and individual lecturers are encouraged to develop their courses based on subjects and texts within their own fields of research.
Technical Communication courses aim to provide engineering students with the ability to express their ideas clearly and professionally. Courses cover several types of technical communication, including personal statements, business letters, progress reports, academic articles, and oral presentations.
- Teach Academic Writing and Technical Communications courses
- Maintain office hours
- Prepare and conduct classes, design homework, and supervise examinations
- Guide Teaching Assistants for recitation classes and grading
- Maintain a course website containing teaching materials and information
- Participate in program development and other common non-teaching duties
- Master’s degree in related field, or equivalent combination of experience and disciplinary background
- One year full-time or equivalent university teaching experience in Academic Writing
- Experience designing a self-standing, evidence-based, academic writing course
- PhD or equivalent terminal degree in relevant discipline
- Experience teaching advanced non-native English speakers
- Experience and interest in teaching Technical Communication
- Experience teaching engineering students
- Demonstrated interest or experience in China and/or in working with Chinese students
- Competitive starting salary, based on education and experience
- Health insurance
- One-way air ticket reimbursement
- Chinese language courses
To apply for this position, please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter stating interest and approaches to teaching relevant to the context of this position (please mention where you learned of this position)
- Diploma of highest degree obtained (photocopy)
- Three letters of reference or contact information for three references