Part-Time Graduate Writing Specialist at the University of Missouri-Kansas City
The Graduate Writing Specialist will support the writing needs of the graduate students enrolled at UMKC, including on-campus as well as distance education students. The teacher-researcher filling this position will utilize their excellent communication and collaboration skills to support UMKC’s graduate writing community through both administrative responsibilities and working directly with graduate students. The Graduate Writing Specialist must have the ability to provide effective coaching throughout all phases of the writing process to help graduate students enhance their writing skills. The Graduate Writing Specialist will be expected to be reliable, conscientious, and self-directed--working independently, anticipating needs, and following through with responsibilities. The Graduate Writing Specialist will participate in Writing Studio department meetings, continuing education programs, and occasional professional development events with writing center colleagues from the Greater Kansas City area.
- Develop and facilitate on-campus and online workshops and activities to support graduate students’ writing.
- Provide individual writing consultations for UMKC graduate students.
- Develop, revise, and identify print and online writing resources for graduate students to be used in the Writing Studio, on the graduate student Blackboard site, and the Graduate Writing Resource webpage.
- Chair the Graduate Writing Advisory Committee;
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Emeritus College faculty, Graduate Librarian, School of Graduate Studies, and the Writing Studio to coordinate writing support services and provide resources when necessary.
- Promote graduate writing programming, resources, and services through presentations, email, social media, and other electronic communications.
- M.A. in English, Composition, Rhetoric, Communication Studies, Education, TESOL, or related field with an emphasis in writing or commensurate experience.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a writing center setting at a postsecondary institution.
- A minimum of two years’ experience working with culturally and linguistically diverse writers.
- Extensive experience working with college level students, preferably at the graduate level.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in working with diverse students, faculty, and staff.
- Ph.D. in English, Composition, Rhetoric, Communication Studies, Education, TESOL, or related field with an emphasis in writing or commensurate experience.
- Classroom experience teaching writing, research methodologies, or other courses relevant to the position.
- Experience teaching and tutoring online.
Job Title: Part-Time Graduate Writing Specialist, 65282
Job ID: 26721
Location: UMKC Volker Campus
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
School of Graduate Studies. The Graduate Writing Specialist will report to the Director of the UMKC Writing Studio.
Full Time/Part Time
This is a half-time, 12-month renewable academic appointment, non-benefit eligible position. 20 hours per week are flexible but need to be consistent within a semester; will include some evening and weekend hours.
$20,000 - $28,000 commensurate with education and experience.
The position will be open until a qualified pool of applicants is created.
***Only applicants that apply through the UMKC online system can be considered. More information and the official job posting can be found at https://info.umkc.edu/hr/careers/academic-positions/***
Applicants must combine all application materials into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment. Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
Please submit the following application materials:
- Letter of Interest and qualifications.
- C.V. including the names and contacts of three (3) references with contact information.
For questions about the position, please contact the Director of the UMKC Writing Studio, Thomas Ferrel (email@example.com).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UMKC is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of Affirmative Action at 816-235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
- EEO is the Law English Version https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
- EEO is the Law Spanish Version https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeosp.pdf
- EEO is the Law Chinese Version https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost(chinese).pdf