The main functions of this position are to oversee course development and instruction in writing, oversee the college’s Written English Requirement, and contribute to the Online Writing Lab. This position requires a broadly-educated person comfortable within an interdisciplinary environment and knowledgeable of the liberal arts at all undergraduate levels of instruction. The candidate should be well versed in the latest research on writing instruction, distance education pedagogy, and effective online course design. Experience with a writing center and English as Second Language (ESL) students is an advantage. Cross college work includes leading the Writing across the Curriculum Initiative. A willingness to work with mixed ability students in an open admissions college is vital.
This is a twelve month, non-tenured faculty/administrative position where the emphasis will be placed upon participation as a team member in building and maintaining the Liberal Arts writing program. In addition to course development/revision, instructional supervision, and oversight of the College’s Written English Requirement, the Faculty Program Director will assume significant responsibilities for the Online Writing Lab (OWL). The Faculty Program Director will act as a writing triage expert cooperating with faculty in identifying student writing needs and strategically connecting these students with appropriate College resources including modules of the OWL, Smarthinking Tutoring, and Grammarly’s automated evaluation software. Additionally, the Faculty Program Director will have the opportunity to participate in future grant opportunities and expansion of the OWL. Finally, the Faculty Program Director will contribute to the Faculty Newsletter and oversee quality control of the Excelsior ReView, an ezine for the Excelsior community.
The Faculty Program Director, Writing reports to one of two Associate Deans in the school.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES includes the following: Other duties may be assigned.
Curriculum Development, Implementation and Evaluation
1. Chair/participate in faculty committees
2. Develop, implement and oversee development of courses, assessments, and other learning activities and materials
3. Identify and supervise faculty for instruction and course development/revision.
4. Oversee the college’s Written English Requirement
5. Work collaboratively with College staff and faculty to resolve policy or curricular issues.
6. Supervise Information Literacy in cooperation with the College’s librarians
College and School of Liberal Arts Responsibilities
1. Participate in School of Liberal Arts and College-wide committees including the Faculty Newsletter
2. Collaborate with other units for the provision of student services
3. Participate in activities supportive of the College’s strategic plan and the goals of the School of Liberal Arts.
5. Participate in marketing and outreach activities
6. Lead the Writing across the Curriculum Initiative
7. Manage the College’s writing support services and collaborate on the Online Writing Lab development team.
8. Take a major role in the school’s plagiarism prevention work.
Professional Development and Community Involvement
1. Represent the College at professional meetings and forums
2. Join Writing Program Administrators organization and participate in professional activities
• Doctorate in English or Composition Studies from a regionally accredited institution required;
• ESL experience preferred
• Experience with non-traditional/adult learners required
• Experience with online learning required; with Blackboard LMS preferred
• Experience in higher education, in a full-time teaching or administrative capacity highly preferred
• Knowledge of basic multimedia tools preferred
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Excellent organizational as well as oral and written communication skills: ability to communicate clearly and concisely by phone, letter, email, fax, and face-to-face.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information http://www.excelsior.edu/ecresumesubmission