Northern Arizona University’s English Department seeks candidates for an open-rank, tenure eligible position to serve as Director of Composition, starting Fall 2015. Two years administrative experience with writing programs, and Ph.D. in English, Rhetoric, Composition, Writing Studies, or related field are required.
- Directing Northern Arizona University’s Writing Program;
- Designing curricula and course syllabi;
- Assessing first-year writing outcomes and their relationship to NAU’s Liberal Studies Learning Outcomes;
- Training, supervising, and mentoring graduate assistants and instructors;
- Teaching professional development courses for graduate assistants;
- Teaching courses in writing studies, composition theory, and rhetoric in the undergraduate and graduate programs in Rhetoric and Writing;
- Collaborating with the Interdisciplinary Writing Program to participate in outreach efforts across the disciplines and bridge the gap between introductory composition courses and disciplinary courses;
- Participating with NAU’s goals to increase student exposure to writing at the freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior level
Qualified candidates should have interest and expertise in the newest theories and practices of Writing Program Administration, Composition Studies, Writing in the Disciplines, and Professional Writing, and/or related areas. Candidates should also have experiences working with diverse student, staff, and faculty groups. This is a 12-month position. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Demonstrated success in teaching critical thinking, reading and writing in online environments.
- Three or more years administrative experience directing writing programs.
- Experience teaching interdisciplinary/disciplinary writing courses.
- Experience training, mentoring, and supervising graduate teaching assistants.
- Demonstrated excellence and innovation in teaching composition-related courses
- Expertise with using digital and other technology in the classroom.
- Strong, sustained record of scholarship relevant to the position as evidenced in presentations or publications in WPA administration, writing in the disciplines, writing with digital media, Rhetoric/Composition, or related fields.
- Experience working with people from a variety of culturally and racially diverse backgrounds, and integrating significant issues related to global learning, diversity, and sustainable educational and environmental practices into composition courses.
Applications for this position will only be considered if they are submitted through NAU’s on-line application process. Please go visit http://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Careers/Faculty-and-Administrator-Openings/, and search for Job ID number 601110. The online application must include a single attachment containing: 1) a cover letter highlighting your particular qualifications for this position; 2) a curriculum vitae; 3) a statement of teaching philosophy; 4) a statement of research interests; and 5) names and contact information for three references. Save all items, in the order stated, as a single PDF or Word document.
The search committee will begin reviewing files on November 22, 2014, and will begin conducting phone interviews the following week. Consideration of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Northern Arizona University (26,000 students) is composed of faculty, staff and students from a wide range of culturally diverse backgrounds. Applicants should be experienced with and dedicated to work in such a diverse population. NAU is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution: minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.