Instructor of Writing and Rhetoric; Associate Director of FYW
The Department of Writing and Rhetoric at St. Edward’s University invites applications for a three-year renewable, non-tenure-track Associate Director of First-Year Writing position to begin Fall 2017. The successful candidate will assist the Director of First-Year Writing and will teach general education writing courses as well as classes in our established undergraduate writing major. The Associate Director will contribute to and support diversity at St. Edward’s University.
As the university designs its new General Education curriculum, the Director and Associate Director will collaborate to develop, implement, and administer the new general education writing requirements, which include both a first-year writing course and a second-year writing course.
The Associate Director will
- assist the Director of First-Year Writing in all administrative duties associated with the writing program, with particular responsibility for
- working with faculty across the disciplines to implement and sustain a second-year general education writing course that emphasizes writing for transfer to disciplinary and professional communities;
- scheduling second-year writing courses;
- hiring adjunct faculty to teach when necessary;
- designing and leading professional development activities for faculty who teach second-year courses;
- observing and evaluating adjunct faculty who teach second-year courses; and,
- assessing student learning in second-year courses.
- Share responsibility for campus-wide outreach about the writing program.
- Teach six (6) undergraduate courses per academic year, including courses in the Writing and Rhetoric major’s core and general writing concentration, as well as general education courses.
- Advise English Writing and Rhetoric majors.
- Participate in professional development activities such as pedagogical training or curricular development.
- Participate in departmental, School of Humanities, and University projects, events, and committee assignments.
- Fulfill other required faculty responsibilities as outlined in the Faculty Manual.
- MA in Writing Studies, Rhetoric and Composition, or a closely related area required.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in college-level teaching and mentoring of diverse student population.
- Educational philosophy consistent with a liberal arts emphasis and values orientation of St. Edward’s mission.
- Successful completion of an employment and/or criminal history background check required.
- Record of research and/or publications in writing program administration or scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL).
- Experience with WAC/WID program design and curricular development.
- Experience with AAC&U high-impact teaching practices.
About St. Edward’s University
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward’s University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 5,300 students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward’s is a highly diverse, Hispanic-serving university committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment and to principles that promote inclusive practices. It is an exciting time to be part of the St. Edward’s community as the university increases its global engagement to educate students for the opportunities and challenges of a 21st century world.
How to Apply
Full consideration given to applications received before January 15, 2017. On-line application at https://stedwards.applicantpro.com/jobs/.
Submit online (as .PDFs):
- a letter of application;
- a CV; and
- a 10-page teaching or administrative portfolio that includes a 1-page teaching or administration philosophy and supplemental evidence of the candidate’s administrative or teaching effectiveness, such as professional development materials, assessment-related materials, or first-year writing course assignments and activities.
Candidates selected for the next stage of review will be contacted to send additional materials.
St. Edward’s University is an equal opportunity employer and hires only U.S. citizens and documented workers.
|Instructor of English Writing Rhetoric Associate Director 1st Year Writing.pdf||54.11 KB|